The Bees were super-excited to support BeMyApp and the 2012 App Olympics, in which teams around the world hacked some superb apps! About 700 mobile app enthusiasts got together February 24-26 in 6 cities to build working apps in just 2 days and compete for global bragging rights. Participants in San Francisco, Dallas, New York City, London, Berlin, and Paris pitched more than 140 app ideas and ultimately built 41 projects!
Each city nominated its Best Local App at the end of the weekend, and then the 6 finalists sought public votes in a 48-hour online competition. Their challenge was to mobilize the community, upload unique content about their app project and show the world how much could be achieved in two days of collaboration. And they achieved a whole lot – check out the winners…
- Bronze winner – from Paris, MySweetPic, a fun Japanese style Photo Booth in your pocket
- Silver winner – from Dallas, HaikuBrew, which allows friends to collaborate on haiku about shared experiences and interests
- Gold Medalist and World Champion in Mobile Apps is Kinvolved from New York City, an app that tracks student attendance and gives parents immediate notification if their child skips class. Kids also get rewards for good attendance.
BeMyApp took plenty of footage around the world, so you can get a great feel for the amazing spirit of the competition here:
CloudBees helped out as headline sponsor, providing funding for beer to drive creative inspiration (and food, facilities, etc.), free use of the CloudBees platform, moral and technical support, and a free DEV@cloud Pro subscription ($600 value) to all 6 finalists.
If you’re doing mobile development, CloudBees will really help you in several different areas:
- Use RUN@cloud to run the back-end of your mobile app — and get up and running in 5 minutes
- Deploy a mobile-friendly web interface on RUN@cloud
- Use Android build tools in DEV@cloud to automatically…
- Build with Jenkins
- Create Android artifacts that you can easily install on your devices
But you should see it to believe it! Check out this awesome 5-min video Spike made especially for BeeMyApp weekend — it will show you exactly how to get started and what you can do with CloudBees. Or get more details here.
Finally, a big shout-out to the winners — and to everyone who organized and participated — from all of us here in the hive — you guys did amazing things!
— Lisa Wells, Marketing Drone