- Are your teams busy daisy-chaining spaghetti scripts?
- Copy/pasting configuration code from one giant monitor to another?
- Are some of these scripts so long (and the person who’s written them long left) that you don't even know what they do?
- But you are too scared to not go through the motions?
- Are you then staring at the screen, waiting for the cryptic script to finish running, hoping it doesn’t conflict with the recent upgrade you had to your environment?
- Are you then opening your Runbook at page #72, to find the next script you need to copy - on your way to releasing this new update?
- And so on…
I feel you!!Scripts are not automation. But scripts are pretty much unavoidable in DevOps. From CI, provisioning VMs, test automation, deployment, monitoring – scripts are everywhere. Large organizations often experience a “Script-apocalypse”, where teams are buried in – and spend a large portion of their time attending to – sprawled, spaghetti, snowflake, nested, ancient scripts. That seem to have a life of their own… This problem is aggravated not just by the sheer scale of teams/releases that enterprises need to support, but because many of those involve legacy applications and legacy IT processes. This makes DevOps scripts’ sprawl a key bottleneck to getting to predictable IT processes and accelerating your delivery pipeline.
There is a better wayWhile we don’t want to throw the baby out with the bath water, maturing your use of DevOps scripts is critical to streamlining your processes and scaling DevOps throughout the organization. I invite you to attend my talk at the upcoming DevOps Enterprise Summit in San Francisco to discover best practices and emerging patterns - covering DevOps automation, Pipeline design and Organizational design approaches - gathered from large enterprises that have managed to climb out of scripting hell. Come learn tips and hard-won lessons for surviving your own “script-apocalypse”!
Register for the conference
Stay up to date
We'll never share your email address and you can opt out at any time, we promise.
Your ad blocker may be blocking functionality on this page. Please disable for an improved experience.